Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Installing the "Atlas" Preview. Problems..

Hello, I have a Win XP Pro system with VS2005 RTM.
I am trying to learn how to use "Atlas" but I am coming up with problems with the "install".
Apparently, there is no "install". The proper way to install the support for "Atlas" is to install the templated web
site(s) and they will install the proper support. I think.
When I download the templated "Atlas" websites vi the msdn website..
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/future/atlastemplate/default.aspx
I get a .vsi file. Upon following the directions on the page, all seems to go well until I get to the section labeled
"To Create the ASP.NET "Atlas" Web Site in Visual Studio."
Step 3. says...In the Templates window, under My Templates, select the ASP.NET "Atlas" Web Site template.
but there is no "Atlas" Web Site Template.
I do note that I have a ..
C:\Documents and Settings\jadams\My Documents\Visual Studio2005\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual WebDeveloper\VisualBasic\ASPNETAtlasHOLVB.zip file
and it contains lots of stuff including labs, .js files, etc. I don't think .VSI file actuall installed properly.
Can someone please help me in getting the files installed properly. I have searched all throught the forums
and followed all the examples people give, but I only get the two zip files. How can I extract them manually to the proper
directories that they should be put. That seems to be the easiest, as the VSI installer isn't doing the job. ( I think).

Atlas is those lines of async Java. When you create an atlas project, those libraries as well as references to an atlas dll is propagated to the projects that you create. I think that part is working fine.
I just looked through my directories and it is as you say, those files are in directories called caches. Only a developer could say what else goes along with locating those files. We don't know what additions have been made to the registry.
I'm running RC1 and at least my templates installed. On the other hand, I find the atlas environment to be very fragile and that saddens me because I think it's an exciting technology.

Hi Wilco,
I've come to a conclusion which is that I do not think that the observed behavior supports your hypothesis.
I believe that this is a code problem having to do with name spaces and classing.
In other words, I don't think the dom has an object called RetsDBInterface.
I've been looking at the PDC05 labs and I notice that in those labs, they create a namespace in the ASMX called
Samples.AspNet within the webservice HelloWorldService where the WebMethod of is Helloworld.
Those samples then referenced
Samples.Aspnet.HelloWorldService.HelloWorld(Argumentlist)
In order to that, the Java script code had to be aware of the namespace class and WebMethod. No matter what I do with classes and Namespaces that line of code cannot find it's object or the namespace actually.
I believe this problem boils down to how do get the Java code itself to resolve a reference to GetRetsInterface.GetRetsDB(Argumentlist)?
I believe that's what broken here? Are there tools beyond code inspection that will assist in this? What are the possible reasons for the Javascript to not be able to resolve those references?


No comments:

Post a Comment